Monday, January 16, 2012

Baking Recipe: Pineapple Tart Cookie (A Malaysian Favourite Festive Cookie) -#citruslove

Chinese New Year is exactly a week plus away from today and I have only started baking.. oh! boy.. talk about being last minute. No matter what, the next few days are going to be ultra busy for me and perhaps that might kill my legs since I will be standing for hours. However peeps, despite the crazy long hours pacing back and forth to the oven, every single minute of it is worth it.

Let me see, the reasons to do so is endless..Firstly, my family gets to enjoy the pineapple tart cookies, my first time posting on my Asian roots on baking, the best part is having you to pop over to feast your eyes and perhaps give it a shot in baking this cookie.
Pineapple Tart Cookies are really famous here in Malaysia, and it's usually a yearly affair. These cookies are sold everywhere by commercial bakeries to home baked whenever Chinese New Year is coming. Of course, there are other various style too depending whether its Nyonya, Indonesian, or Taiwanese; but the base ingredients are pretty much the same.
For recipe: Click on image + zoom
I know it sounds rather confusing, if you're thinking it sure don't look like a tart. However,this cookie has been named this way for several years. So please don't correct me ;). The 'tart' is mainly due to the pineapple jam like filling; made from scratch using fresh shredded pineapples, cooked down in it's natural sugar which caramelises the pineapple flesh and juice making it stringy, sticky and easy to shape. To compliment the 'tart', it is paired with a crumbly, buttery melt in the mouth butter cookie.

It's essential to get the balance between the tart and cookie right for the ultimate Pineapple Tart Cookie experience. Sweet tangy pineapple nectar encased in an ultra moist aromatic buttery melt in the mouth cookie is definitely heaven in a single bite. Since it's #CitrusLove month hosted by Cafe Terra this January 2012, I am thinking this little cookie will be a perfect candidate. Make sure to hop on over there to check it out too.

Till then... to all my Asian readers, Gong Xi Fa Cai..May you have lots of good health and prosperous year!!!

xx

28 comments:

  1. Oh I have never seen this before, I totally want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies do look very tempting..I would probably pop few of those at the same time hehehe...just kidding!
    Love your photos and recipe sound divine!
    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous Pineapple Tart, haven't tried to attempt yet.. I'm baked out already, so maybe next year :) Happy CNY! Kong Hei Fatt Choy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! These look amazing! Happy New Year - and what sweet beginning! I can only imagine how delicious the pineapple jam is in the middle! BRAVO, Joanna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you, Jo! Collect lots of angpows while you can :D
    The pineapple cookies look absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of these sure does make me want to try them-yum! Making the filling from scratch I am sure is well worth the effort. I have saved this recipe to make at my house. Perfect addition to the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look gorgeous!!! but your description say it all:
    ....."Sweet tangy pineapple nectar encased in an ultra moist aromatic buttery melt in the mouth cookie is definitely heaven in a single bite."
    Love to have a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so at first, I thought these actually looked like little pigs in a blanket and then I read the title and saw pineapple tart and thought, "Noooo, these can't have hot dogs in them!" And then I read the post and ingredients realized it was the pineapple filling. Yes, I am dumb, lol! But, these look delicious! I love pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jo-your cookies with the pineapple filling are an absolute divine!
    Actually, it's Junia that is in charge of the #citruslove...all the other bloggers, are co-hosts! So nice to see you joined in the fun, I should upload the "linky" as well! Can't believe all the bloggers who contributed their amazing citrus posts!!!
    Your amazing cookies will make Top 9, again...no doubt!
    Huggsss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATS ON FOODBUZZ TOP 9!!! Just stopped by to say that...got to get some sleep now:)) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH yes these golden beauties definitely say Chinese NY to me! :D They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on Top 9! Didn't I tell you they were perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never have baked with pineapple as the focus, but these tarts must taste amazing! The cookie wrap looks so buttery and delicious!! Glad you've joined the citrus blog hop, too :)

    PS...congrats on your two Top 9's!!! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy chinese new year to you! pineapple tarts are the must-have around this season! unfortunately, not for me here in london ): this looks like a fabulous recipe to tackle that, though I must sa, all that work always puts me off! they do look gorgeous though, wish I could just nick some off from you ):

    ReplyDelete
  15. i first thought they were pigs in blankets...but pineapple tart sounds much more appetizing to my sweet tooth! they look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pineapple tart cookies look heavenly, Jo! Can you send me some??! :)
    Btw, I have an award waiting for you... http://bit.ly/yjpNgG

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow these look lovely! I found you through the blog awards over at Pinay in Texas. Well deserved since I'm now in love with your site! Have a beautiful day and I look forward to reading through your posts. I am now following your site, and hope to join in on the blog hop =]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhh man those pineapple tarts look amazing! they look like the dessert version of pigs in a blanket, but I am sure are SO much better being sweet and tart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pineapple cake from Taiwan has similar pineapple filling and I really enjoy eating them. I'll definitely enjoy this sweets (and know that I won't stop eating until they are gone). I love your photos Jo! And Congrats on Top 9 (Thanks for Sandra and Lizzy's comments). You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Friday everyone! I am glad to know that the photo tricked your eyes. It sure does look like piggy in blankets, but they are not. These are the most delectable pineapple tart cookies and my absolute favourite. We always get to have them during Chinese New Year. If you love pineapple, do give this a try. Have a great weekend!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy CNY!These look just like the Pineapple Tarts I made on my 2nd blog www.asianinamericamag.com
    Was just wondering, where can I find your recipe? Hope to bake it, too! We love Pineapple Tarts at home, and my niece who's from Singapore tells me they're a symbol of prosperity! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmmmhhh, kinda gave me a foodgasm reading how you described the way the shredded pineapple is cooking down. Just too delectable!

    XOXO,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... That sure makes my day. "FOODGASM".. Love the way you enjoyed my post. xoxo

      Delete
  23. I can't begin to tell you how much of these i've had during the new years. IT was disastrous! I think you've made them well too! :) Happy lunar new year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing!! I always buy these cookies in tin cans sitting on a supermarket shelf (who knows how long they've been sitting there!) I never thought about making them. These look so pop-a-able and crumbly Jo! I have to try out your recipe and let you know how it goes. Pretty pictures.

    Happy Chinese New Year girly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonni girl! Hmmm.. I definitly highly recommend to make them on your own. It taste much better. Fresh and high quality ingredients is key here. Drop me an e-mail if you wanna know more..kekeke.. Wish I could send you some, but I know it will be all crumbled by the time it even gets on the plane and end up being toss out the bin my immigration. LOL.. Thanks dear for the compliment. Huggggsssss

      Delete
  25. I have never heard of them, but if it has pinneaple than I'm in!

    ReplyDelete

Hey foodies! THANK YOU for leaving me with sweet comments. I hope to inspire you like how you inspire me. Cheers~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...