Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black & Pink Chocolate Cupcake


It feels like I've not been baking for sometime now. Since having the terrible cough, I've not been able to do much as I felt that my senses were off. Last week, I was going through the pantry and fridge and I found a couple of things that I like to clear away.

Things that I found were a box of Pillsbury Instant Chocolate Mix, Lingonberry Jam from IKEA, Philly Cream Cheese and Oreos. Okay, to be honest I'm not a fond believer in using instant cake mix as I find that the taste at times is not quite there plus I will always add in extra ingredients to make it tastier. However, on the other hand if you don't have time in your hands and you have craving for a quick dessert, then instant mixes are a blessing. Lol..

To be honest, I don't have an exact recipe in hand this time or adapted from any books or recipe sites. My Black and Pink Cupcakes are essentially Chocolate Cupcake with Lingonberry Cream Cheese Frosting and Choco Cupcake with Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting.

Now I know most recipes out there for Oreo Frosting is usually Oreo Buttercream Frosting. Since I didn't have any butter in hand, I decided to improvise. Keeping fingers cross that it'll be tasty and delish. {fingers crossing  >.<}

Here goes.. oh! and please forgive me if it didn't turn out the way you like it, as this time I was being impromptu.

Recipe:

Ingredients

1 packet chocolate instant cake mix (brands of your choice..eg; Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker etc.



Prepare instant chocolate cupcake:

Follow the instructions stated on the box. However, I suggest using full milk instead of water, melt butter instead of vegetable oil, melt extra semi-dark or milk chocolate and fold into the mixture.

OR, do bake from scratch. My favourite chocolate cake recipe right now is the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Chocolate Cake.

Ingredients (Chocolate Cupcake from Scratch)

Yields approx. 24-26 medium cupcakes

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (Full Cream/ Whole milk.. to me none of this low fat stuff works well >.<)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or more but not too much)
1 cup water

Prepare the Chocolate Cupcakes:

1. Heat oven to 350°F {approx. 180-190 degs}. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2minutes. Stir in boiling water {batter will be thin}. Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely, before transferring them onto wire racks.


Ingredients (Cream Cheese Frosting)
350g Philadelphia Cream Cheese (approx. 1 1/2 stick)
3/4 - 1 cup powdered sugar or icing sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
2-3 tsp Lemon juice
1 packet of Oreo Cookies
5-6 tablespoons Lingonberry Jam




Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting:

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese on medium speed until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.

2. Add the lemon juice and vanilla essence and beat an extra minute. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat until fully incorporated and smooth.

3. Separate the cream cheese frosting into 2 separate bowls.

Prepare Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting:

1. Separate oreo cookie and the cream. You may toss the cream into 1 of the bowl of prepared cream cheese frosting.

2. With a food processor, blitz the oreo cookie.

3. Mix the cream and cream cheese frosting with a spoon until it is well incorporated.

4. Fold in the oreo cookie and you will notice that the frosting immediately thickens up. Place the frosting into a piping bag and with a Wilton 1M tip, frost the cupcakes immediately.

Note: The Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting seats very well outside and will not melt.

Prepare Lingonberry Cream Cheese Frosting:

1. Fold in 5-6 tablespoon of lingonberry jam into the cream cheese frosting until it is well incorporated.

2. With a spatula, spread the frosting onto the cupcake and sprinkle with your favourite colour sprinkles.

Note: For this frosting, I had some issue {my bad..}. I suppose the humidity of the air melted my frosting really fast. So I did not manage to pipe this frosting on to the cupcake. Instead with a spatula, scoop frosting onto the cupcake. Make sure to chill before serving.

Enjoy!!

P/S: do continue to stay tune, as I'm still scratching my head for an ideal giveaway. suggestions anyone? feel free to suggest in the comment area and i will certainly consider every one's idea.

xx 


1 comment:

  1. Jo-I hope you're feeling better now, and your cough is all gone. I don't like cake mixes either, but when you doctor it up with extra eggs, butter, or pudding mix, and use your own frosting, sometimes it saves your time trying to figure out what dessert to make.

    I always have a box or two, the little ones love it, if there's homemade frosting on it.
    Although your yummy cupcakes would be more welcome! Love your recipes of them!

    ReplyDelete

Hey foodies! THANK YOU for leaving me with sweet comments. I hope to inspire you like how you inspire me. Cheers~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...