Monday, July 11, 2011

Baking Recipe: Tiramisu Tarts


Ever heard of Tiramisu Tarts? I've always been a fan of tiramisu, the authentic Italian way. Well I know this may not be a conventional Tiramisu as usual; however it has elements of a tiramisu or perhaps some parts of it. Do forgive and not judge me as I'm not trying to change an authentic dessert. I'm one who loves my desserts the classic way. However, I do think it's fun to think outside the box once a while to make a dining experience pleasurable, fun and memorable. Also, if you're a 'health' conscious person or someone who loves sinful treats like I do, you might agree with me that we can't be eating cake every single week ;).

The Tiramisu Tart is a luscious bittersweet dark chocolate shell tart filled with aromatic espresso cream cheese filling and topped with Godiva pearls. I made them mini in size as these tarts are filled with strong flavours. I think this treat is perfect for both coffee and chocolate lovers and might appeal to Oreo cookie lovers too, since the shell taste a little like them. Enjoy!!

Recipe
yields 24 mini tarts

Note: For the shell, I used dark cocoa powder and not the Dutch cocoa powder. You may substitute unsalted butter with salted butter; just remember to omit the salt if salted butter is used. Also if you do not have tart shell pans, don't fret it. Use your mini muffin or cupcake pans. It works like a charm.

For the ultra dark and semi-sweet tart shell

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract

To prepare tart shell:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, blend flour, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, dark cocoa powder and vanilla extract until moist crumbs form (this may take up to approx1-2 minutes). To gage an idea, click here for photo.

2. Make sure to lightly grease pan with butter and sprinkle dark cocoa powder over the pan. Try to avoid sprinkling flour as you will get white spots on your tart shell once they are baked.

3. Transfer moist crumbs to a 2 dozen mini muffin or cupcake pan.

4. With floured fingers, press dough evenly into pan and up sides. Dip a dry measuring cup in cocoa powder, and use it to press dough firmly into bottom and against sides of pan. Freeze crust until firm for about 10-15 minutes.

5. Using a form, prick crust all over. Bake until golden, 25-30 minutes, pressing down gently once or twice with a spoon during baking if crust puffs up. Let cool completely in pan before transferring on to wire rack, cake stand or platter.

For espresso cream cheese filling

Note: For the espresso, I used my own coffee maker. If you do not have one; mix 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder with  a 1/3 cup of hot or warm water if you like it strong. Set aside to cool. If kitchen's humidity level is high, and if it's summer like where I am all year round, do work with the air condition switched on. It helps to keep the filling cool and not turn runny.

125g philly cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsps espresso
1 tsp coffee liqueur (optional)
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1/4 cup milk chocolate buttons
2 tbsps milk

To prepare espresso cream cheese filling:

1. With a whisk, whipped cream until stiff peaks form. Transfer out to another clean bowl and set aside.

2. Switch to a paddle attachment on your stand mixer, and whipped cream cheese with powdered sugar, coffee liqueur (optional), and vanilla and espresso until well combined.

3. With a spatula gently fold in whipped cream until mixture is combined. Transfer to a piping bag, and chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes or more or until mixture is slightly thicker to piping consistency.

4. Melt chocolate buttons and milk in a microwave for about 35 seconds on medium high. Careful not to burn chocolate. Alternatively, you may heat up milk and pour over chocolate. With a spoon, stir chocolate once a while to help it melt. If melted chocolate is still slightly thick, add in milk 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Consistency should me medium thick and slightly runny or ribbon-ny. Lift up your teaspoon and if chocolate drizzles down smoothly, stop adding milk.

To assemble Tiramisu tarts:

1. With a teaspoon, coat tart's base with melted chocolate. Shake it a little to help chocolate coat even out.

2. Using a regular tip, pipe the espresso cream cheese filling until slightly over the tart shell. At this point with the filling chilled, you will be able to pipe simple swirls if you like.

3. Sprinkle some cocoa powder over each tart and chill tarts once more to allow filling to set in the fridge before serving.

xx

15 comments:

  1. Nice twist on the standard tiramisu, we all do not have enough family to eat that big dessert. Individual desserts are better-thanks for converting the lovely flavors into a tart. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful presentation, and fantastic recipe..those tarts look so tempting and delicious..perfect bite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina, glad I have a supporter ;). I've ran out of mascarpone therefore swapping it over with cream cheese. If you do try it, do link me and buzz me and let me know what you think. TC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sandra, thanks for stopping by. Glad you like them too. Btw, I love your simple & easy cooking; plus all the lovely photos. Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice twist and very clever. Love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! I love that you're serving a classic in a new way! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome my husband loves tiramisu but I usually can't take the texture of it personally even if I like the flavor combo. This maybe the happy medium for us both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! And such a fun twist on a classic. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little tarts! Especially love the bird cage. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ann.. thanks so much. Appreciate all the support given to me. I very much enjoy your blog. A great way to keep me on my toes while cooking. Food can still taste great when it's healthy.Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  11. SV, in that case please try out this recipe. I suppose the real tiramisu requires us to whip raw egg yolks.And I was told by my colleague once that she couldn't stand the taste of raw egg yolks. I've made them before, the authentic way but this was way long ago before I started blogging and did not face such problm so far.Certain recipes call for lots of egg yolks and some are lesser. That could be the issue or possibly the eggs used at times. Perhaps I should do it again and share it with all of you tiramisu lovers.
    In the meantime, I hope you and your hubby will find joy trying out my recipe. Do keep me posted or link me should you decide to give it a go. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah and Lily: Thanks for stopping by. Truly appreciate it. I found the birdcage from Camberwell Thrift market while I was in Melbourne recently. I honestly love flea markets. It's like a treassure trove waiting for you to find priceless gems.Happy cooking and baking ladies! Cheers,Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your description of these tarts is magazine worthy! Love the photos and everything about them... Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jo,
    I love mini thinks, it feels like you are having a real treat. I swap cream cheese sometimes because it is more readily available. Looks like you have been baking lots of yummy things over here. Hope you are enjoying your summer, can't wait for my kids to go back to school so my schedule will lighten up a bit.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete

Hey foodies! THANK YOU for leaving me with sweet comments. I hope to inspire you like how you inspire me. Cheers~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...