Anyways, moving along.. I could still remember, that the simplest pleasure was just serving this can of peach with a generous scoop of creamy smooth good old vanilla ice-cream. Imagine, scooping a mouth full of cold ice-cream with a slice of peach .. mMMMmmm.. so..so good right? Till this very day, I still find myself swooning over this simple luxurious treat.
However this time, instead of just enjoying my simple pleasure in life, I decided that I am going to take it up a notch and make a crumble. Not just any crumble, it had to be PEACH & BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE with slight variation of course and with FRESH Peaches. Simple, light and packed with all the natural goodness!
In the past, I have made all sorts of crumble, but somehow I have never been able to showcase them here on my blog. It was also because I was such a "nub" in food photography, that I haven't quite figure out on how to snap shots without having my ice-cream melted all over. After all I am in Asia, and well I live in a tropical country, so imagine the level of heat I endure every time. Bet I am not alone in this area; and that many too may have encountered this same scenario.
So I suppose this is my very first crumble & I had a lot of fun, styling and photographing them. Though I know I still have a lot more room to grow, I wanted this photo to be clean, slightly dreamy and plated the dessert like how they would serve in a fine dining restaurant. In a nutshell, that was my source of inspiration and tried to emulate the effect by adding my own artsy spin.
As for flavours of this PEACH & BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE, it's nutty, floral-fruity from the amazing aroma of a peach with a hint of depth of warmth from the cinnamon in the crumble. Perfect for a cool windy day making this experience simply heavenly & divine!
Peach & Blueberry Crumble
by Chic & Gorgeous Treats
* serves 6-8
* peach & blueberry crumble can be made in advance, covered tightly with a cling film; then bake them when about to serve.
* best to consume the same day.
Peach & Blueberry Filling
1 cup of Fresh Blueberry
2 teaspoon of Fresh Lemon Zest
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/3 cup granulated or caster sugar
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
To prepare Peach & Blueberry Crumble:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 1 minute; until their skin peels off easily. Place them immediately in a bowl of cold water. Peel off the skin, slice the peaches into large cubes and place them in a bowl.
2. Add lemon juice, zest, flour, sugar to the peaches and gently fold in the blueberries, careful to not break them. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes and then scoop them into individual prepared ramekins.
3. For the topping, mix together, flour, brown sugar, caster sugar, cinnamon and butter. Using the tip of your fingers, gently rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles large bread crumbs. Fold in the sliced almonds. Sprinkle over the fruit. Place the ramekins over a sheet lined pan, and bake between 30-35 minutes or until the crumble browned, crisps and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. ENJOY!
*slightly adapted from Ina Garten