Monday, June 27, 2011

Baking Recipe: Heavenly Mango Mousse Cake


Mango is in season, and every week lately there will be a basket full in my kitchen. How lucky am I? Frankly, mango is definitely one of my go to fruits whenever I've a craving for something sweet. It's rich, juicy and bursting with flavour.

I realised I've always been working with international fruits so much so that I decided it's time I worked with a fruit which is also grown locally and found in our local farmers market. Just in case you didn't know, mangoes are grown in Malaysia too, due to the beautiful tropical weather. In a way, we are pretty lucky people to be able to enjoy the fruit whole year round.

So over the weekend, I've been experimenting with mango. I have always wanted to try my hands on making a rich yet light mango cake. Bear in mind I do have a family who love their sweets but not too sweet. So it's always a challenge to find a perfect balance between sweetness and richness of a dessert without losing all it's elements. I baked a 3 layered cake with one layer sandwiched with mango mousse and another layer sandwiched with fresh cream and mango. Overall cake is frosted with light meringue butter cream.

Thus, what I have put together in the cake is what I feel in my opinion; arguably one of the best mango cake that you have ever taste. Although the recipes are not mine per say, however I always go to my trusted and tested recipes whenever I try to put a cake together. If you love mango plus it's another perfect summer treat, do read on for the recipe. I am sure your friends and family will be asking for seconds to third helpings. Enjoy!

Recipe

For white butter cake
adapted from Joy of Baking

Note: I tweaked the amount of milk, to get a moist butter cake. The recipe below is perfect for a 3 layered 6-inches cake.

2 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar, divided
1-2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 1tbsp milk
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

To prepare white butter cake:

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees approx 177-180 Celsius. Grease 2 6-inches round cake pan and line with parchment paper. With a whisk and clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Then add in cream of tartar and 1/4 cup sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks forms. Transfer to another bowl, if you do not have a spare mixing bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, mix cake flour, salt, and baking flour together. Next, change to a paddle attachment, beat butter and remainder of 3/4 cup sugar at medium speed until light, creamy and fluffy.

3. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Next, add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Divide cake flour mixture to 3 additions, starting with milk and ending with flour and continue mixing until well combined.

4. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in beaten egg whites into cake batter, and fold until well combine. Careful to not over mix and lose all the air. Otherwise cake will deflate.

5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool off completely.

For the mango mousse
adapted from Tartellete

Note: Use any mango that is available in your supermarket. It can be the Indian mango, Thai mango etc.
Preferably the Thai mango, if you must as it's naturally sweet and juicy. I made my own puree as I couldn't locate it in my supermarket.

To make your own puree, slice 1 mango into cubes. The flesh from the seed can be used too. However it has loads of fibre, therefore, try not to slice onto the seed. With a food processor or blender, puree the mango. Sieve it through a sieve and follow further instructions below to make your mango mousse.

1 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
1 tbsp water
4 oz (120gr) mango puree
2 tbsps sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) heavy cream, cold

To prepare mango mousse:

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and let it soften while you prepare the fruit.

2. In a medium saucepan, bring the mango puree and sugar to a simmer. Remove from the heat and add in the softened gelatin. Stir until the gelatin is completely melted.

3. Transfer the fruit puree to a large bowl and let it cool down to room temperature.

4. Using a whisk attachment attached to the mixer, whip the cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the fruit puree to lighten it up (do not worry about losing air at this point). Carefully fold in the rest of the whipped cream. You will notice that the mixture appears a little runny. Cover mousse with cling film wrap. To help it set nicely to a spreading consistency, do chill it in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes before spreading it over the cake.

For fresh cream and mango chunks layer

1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 a mango, sliced into cubes

To prepare whipped cream:

1. With a whisk attachment, whisk heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peak forms.

For light meringue butter cream

2 large white eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
4-5 tsps lemon juice
1-2 tsp pure clear vanilla extract

To prepare meringue butter cream frosting:

1. Mix whites and sugar in a mixer bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Heat, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves for approx. 2-3 mins and mixture is warm.

2. Remove from heat. With a whisk attachment, whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form, for about 5 minutes. Add butter, several cubes at a time, whisking after each addition. Add lemon juice and vanilla then beat for another 2 minutes, scrapping down sides of bowl when needed.

To assemble cake:

1. Slice one of the cake into half. Use the thicker baked cake as the base. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream. Layer cut mango cubes evenly on cake and top with remainder whipped cream.

2. Layer next layer of cake, and spread the mango mousse over the layer and finally layer with final layer of cake. With a cake spread, remove access mousse and whipped cream. Chill cake in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to allow mousse and whipped cream to set before frosting. Thaw before serving.

xx

13 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love mango....the decorations are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most beautiful cakes I've ever seen. So pretty. I bet it tastes incredible. Great job. All of a sudden I am craving mango.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ann, thanks so much. Do try it sometime and let me know what you think. Always happy to hear from you. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim Bee! You're too kind and thank you. I too think it's beautiful ;p. Although I'm really not good with cake decorating. Will certainly try to improve further. Hopefully you got your hands on some mango. Enjoy! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mango, I love mango, I love mango! Yum yum yum!
    And it's fresh from the equator. Oh I miss the real stuff. Not the worn out Western mango. Mango cake... how deadly art thou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, this is fabulously rich and decadent. Sounds great fun, experimenting with all those lovely juicy mangoes. The decoration is certainly heavenly, too; I'm just like you - love sweet things but not too sweet, so this is right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mango is a fruit I often buy but then never do anything with...This recipe may just change that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, that cake looks so beautiful! I wish I could have the whole cake for my birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! Your mango mousse cake is wonderful! I wish I could make something this pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like tall layers of cake with a variety of fresh mango filling.Yum! This is simply lovely-thanks for sharing this summertime cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey peeps! Wow so many comments. I'm truly flattered. Keep them coming ok? Lol.. Okay I'm going to break down 1 by 1 now ;p

    Pierre: You always crack me up.. such a poet, hope you get your hands on some mango to satisfy your crave.

    Jill: Omg..omg..omg..I'm star struck again. Lol. I hope you do try out this recipe if you don't like it too sweet like I do. Let me know when you do try it one day.

    Apron Appeal: Just like you I've never made any desserts using mango. So this is my first too, and I think I will keep experimenting.

    Purabi: When's your bday? If you do come down to KL buzz me. ;)I've another friend who loves mango cake and I am sure she will like this version of mine and I hope you do too..

    Lily & Tina: I'm sorta out of words right now. My pleasure for sharing the recipe and hope you will enjoy making it as much I did.

    Cheers everyone! Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so heavenly! I love the colors and the piping is great. I really love mangos, I just got some this weekend and they are great right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Mother of Pearl, this is gorgeous. You are seriously messing with my sweet tooth. Heavenly, divine, awe inspiring!!! Can you tell that I like this????

    ReplyDelete

Hey foodies! THANK YOU for leaving me with sweet comments. I hope to inspire you like how you inspire me. Cheers~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...