Thursday, November 18, 2010

Baking Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie for the Road


Recently, just the past weekend I went on a road trip with 3 of my fabulous girl friends. With my terrible cough and all {Lol}..I drove us 4 girls up North for a food gastronomy. Well, the trip was plan ahead and I surely did not anticipate for myself to be under the weather. {in case you're wondering..}

The Faboulous Four
{Lynn, Jamie, Jo, Steph..missing 1 gal, Ms Fifi. This is for you Fifi, don't forget us. }
We made a pit stop in Ipoh, my hometown where I had a lot of great food memories during my childhood years for a scrumptious breakfast and I managed to catch up with my aunt and uncle who is famous for their Pork Satay. After a lovely pit stop, we made our way further up to Penang or also known as Pulau Pinang.




For the road trip, I've decided to bake good old Chocolate Chip Cookie. Nothing beats home baked Chocolate Chip Cookie {in my opinion}. The smell of freshly baked cookie filled with chocolate chips, a hint of vanilla essence, burnt butter and brown sugar is really intoxicating and in a way it reminded me of the ever so famous 'Famous Amous Cookies' {perhaps better.. >.<}

What about you peeps? Have you ever tasted any chocolate chip cookie which leaves a mark in your tummy, and mind? Perhaps your mom or grandmother's recipe? Well, for me I don't have a specific recipe that I religiously follow as I've tried a couple chocolate chip cookie recipes and they all turned out DELISH.

This time round, the chocolate chip cookie recipe is adapted from Joy Of Baking.


Recipe:

Yields approx. 4 dozen average size cookies

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
3/4 cup (160 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups (295 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (270 grams) semisweet chocolate chips

{Like me, I didn't measure the amount of chocolate chip, as I know my family love to have their cookies filled with chocolate chip. Also, I mixed both dark chocolate chip and milk chocolate chip}

Note: I used Hersheys Chocolate Chips for both dark and milk chocolate chips.

**Feel free to experiment: Mix in 1 cup (100 grams) macademia, hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped OR mix both dark and milk choco chips like what I did.








Prepare the Chocolate Chip Cookie:

1. Sift flour with baking soda and salt in a separate large bowl.

2. In another large bowl/ mixer, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Slowly then add in the brown sugar, then white sugar both in 2 additions each and continue beating until they are well incorporated, light and fluffy.

3. Add in the eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each addition.

4. You can choose to fold in or beat in the vanilla essence.

5. Next, add in the dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda) in 2 additions and beat them till it's well incorporated.

6. Fold in the chocolate chips till well incorporated. Transfer the batter onto a cling film wrap, wrap it up and chill it in the fridge for 30 mins before scooping them on to your baking tray.

7. Meanwhile, Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and line your baking tray with parchment paper.

8. For large cookies, use about a 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop or with two spoons, drop about 2 tablespoons of dough (35 grams) onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes or 12 - 14 minutes  depending on your oven, or until golden brown around the edges. Cool completely on wire rack.

Note:

If you like to add in nuts, make sure to fold them in during the stage where you have folded in your chocolate chips. Also, if you don't wish to use up the entire batter, it'll store well in the freezer, till your next baking session. Just make sure to thaw the batter, and you may need to increase your baking time just a little.

To be honest, I don't measure the size or weigh each of the batter dropped on to the baking tray. As usual, I feel that there shouldn't be any frills, so just make sure it's a medium size doll-up of cookie batter when you place them on your baking tray. If you like your cookies to be smaller, use a teaspoon instead rather than a table spoon.
 
Pour a glass of cold milk and take a bite into the cookies or dunk the cookie in cold milk. ;p Hope you all will enjoy the cookies as much as my girl friends and family.

*Hint* *Hint* Do continue to stay tune, since the season of sharing and giving is coming up soon, who knows that I may be planning a GIVEAWAY? ;p.

Happy baking!
 
xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo-Love your photos with your girlfriends, and love the photos of your step-by-step chocolate chip cookie recipe...and most of all, that you also have the U.S. measurement along with the metric.
    BTW...this is the same exact recipe with the Nestle's chocolate chip cookies, but your cookies turned out so yummy, and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elisabeth! How're you? I'm always thrilled to have you pop by my blog every now and then. Oh..you should try out this recipe. It's superb. Yummy... Have you started preparing for Christmas? Take care.. Hugs, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh Jojo!!
    Just miss our girly food adventures...

    And will definitely try out ur choc chip cookies for Christmas! Looks divine!
    Miss u and the girls!
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Fifi! Miss ya lots babe.. Must try this recipe okay. It's to die for. See you soon in Melb next April 2011. I'll cook and bake there. That's my mission. {Huggies Jo}

    ReplyDelete

Hey foodies! THANK YOU for leaving me with sweet comments. I hope to inspire you like how you inspire me. Cheers~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...